If you've ever tried to make proper nougat before, you would know it involves waaaay too many steps; like boiling it, dissolving it, baking it and screaming whilst beating the crap out of it.
Aaand majority of times you end up with something that's just not nougat.
It's just a sugary, lumpy mess that no one wants.
But I've found a short cut...
So after spending aeons of time slaving away; trying to decode, disassemble, and simplify the nougat recipe.
I've finally figured it out the winning formula.
It involves no baking, no cooking, just pillowy soft nutty goodness
Here's how Yummei's 3 Step Nougat was born.
There are only 3 ingredients, and only 3 real steps.
Yummei's 3 Step Nougat
Assembly time: 5mins
What you will need:
1. 200g marshmallows
2. 5-6 heaped tbsp milk powder
3. 2 fistfuls of salted peanuts (or you can use pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds etc.)
Method: Ps. you will need to work pretty quickly.
1. Heat the marshmallows in a large bowl in the microwave for about 1min 15seconds, or until the marshmallows are all melted and gooey.
2. Throw in the salted peanuts.
3. Fold in the milk powder, it will become thicker and denser. Add more if you feel that it is still too gooey but eventually you will start to find it really difficult to mix. Done.
Or if you're lucky enough to own a stand mixer, use it. But my way you get a work out. (Whoo!)
4. Powder your hands with milk powder, drag your nougat out of the bowl and pat down until it's 1cm thick into a pan/tray.
5. Chill in the fridge for 30mins just to make it easier to cut up, afterwards dice/slice/cut into whatever shape you want. Just remember to dust each slice with milk powder to stop them from sticking to each other.
6. Stand victorious. Soak up the glory. Enjoy.
Don't be fooled by the sheer abundance of marshmallows used, it's really not that sweet at all.
Just chewy, peanutty with a hint of sweetness.
Make this and everyone will be asking you for a batch.
Plus it helps that everyone thinks that it's uber complicated, so you get to wear that domestic halo with pride.
Just maybe keep the recipe a secret.
Between you and me ;]
Labels: 3 step nougat, blog recipe, Christmas, dessert, Easy nougat recipe, homemade candy, homemade sweets, How to make nougat, Lifestyle, no bake nougat, peanut candy, peanut nougat, Recipe, Recipes, sweets, Yummei