Current blogger code: YUMMEI: Flat Iron Steak - Soho - London

26/03/2013

Flat Iron Steak - Soho - London

The first rule of Flat Iron is that there is only one choice.

The second rule: there is only one cut.

The final rule: there is only one steak. 

The Flat Iron Steak.

After a series of successful pop-ups during the summer last year, Flat Iron have finally set up a permanent home in Beak Street just off Carnaby Street.

I've always been a sucker for dark, intimate spaces; and Flat Iron doesn't disappoint with it's exposed brick walls, soft candle-light and limited seating. 








So what is the flat iron steak ?


This cut of meat comes from the cow's shoulder; or more precisely it is the flat muscle off the shoulder blade, which is very cheap to buy and seriously underused. 

For only £10, the Flat Iron Steak is served with leaf salad.

You are given the choice of 4 sides ranging from Dripping cooked chips, Creamed Spinach, Market Greens, Sophie's Salad and Roasted Aubergines for £2.50-3.50

Plus £1 for sauces ~ Bearnaise, peppercorn etc. 
Verdict?
Steak:
The steak was presented to me cooked perfectly medium rare; so 
pink and still juicy.


But I found the steak although it was tender, it was rather chewy and dare I say alittle lacking in flavour, and I had to resort to sitting there masticating for awhile.


My accomplice had to demolish the rest of the steak for me. 

Sides:
The chips were hollow and dry, and tried to escape the wrath of my fork as I tried to impale them -  so that peppercorn sauce was seriously needed. 


Overview:


Like many of the other no reservation restaurants, come here early to avoid an arduously long wait. However, you are welcome to wait in the bar downstairs.

I really wanted to fall in love with Flat Iron, but the food didn't make me quiver in pleasure as much as I wanted it to. 


Having said that I did really like the ambiance, the service was faultless plus where else are you going to find steak for £10 in central London?

6/10 Yummei Points


Where?
17 Beak Street,
Soho,
W1F 9RW


Flat Iron on Urbanspoon

Square Meal

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<data:blog.title/>

This page has found a new home

Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin